MOST EFFECTIVE COMPLIANCE OPERATION 2018
Sponsored by: The Recruitment & Employment Confederation
gap personnel supplies temporary, contract and permanent staff to companies across the industrial sectors, nationwide. With a turnover approaching £140m in 2017, its business is predominantly focused on temporary labour. It places up to 9,000 temporary workers each day and covers more than 2.5 million shifts per year. Within the organisation, every individual is responsible for upholding compliance principles as part of ethical practice. The central compliance team comprises five specialists across the firm’s national network, supporting all business divisions and departments. Four of the team have been promoted internally from operational positions, so they know the business, appreciate the needs of both candidates and clients, and have faced the challenges the operational teams face day-to-day.
• The company defines compliance as meeting all requirements that govern the business: laws, rules, regulations, contract requirements, and internal policies and procedures. gap personnel conducts its business and other practices in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations of the UK and officiating bodies at all times.
• The compliance team focuses on creating an environment and company culture that not only carries out what it is required to, but also finds ways to achieve more as an ethical partner for its entire people.
• In addition to upholding operational processes that are subject to regulatory oversight, the company has longstanding industry memberships, affiliations and accreditations with among other the Employment Agency Standards (EAS) Inspectorate for the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy; and the Gang masters and Labour Abuse Authority (GLAA).
• Each compliance manager has their own specialism, and is responsible for ensuring they are up to date with the latest regulatory requirements within their remit.
• To keep its clients up to date, the team carries out client training and professional adviser workshops, holds regular client service reviews, provides legislation-specific documentation, and invites clients to training opportunities at industry events.
“Our winner is a stand-out, which demonstrated an ambition to go above and beyond the legislative requirements to seek out excellence. It also showed GDPR preparedness that stood out from the crowd.”