Most Effective Employer Brand Development 2020
Ready for ANYTHING? – The AA in partnership with TMP and PeopleScout
Challenging the public’s perception of the only roles on offer at the vehicle breakdown service company were roadside ones, the AA decided it needed to engage a wider audience and attract the diversity of candidates needed to fill its broad spectrum of roles.
- Working with talent solutions communications agency TMP, a PeopleScout Company, the AA launched a dynamic employer brand and message that brought the AA culture and diversity of opportunity to life.
- The brand development began with research to understand public perceptions and competitor market positions. The message that was heard over and over again: people thrive on going the extra mile to help customers. This led to the core employer brand message: ‘Ready for ANYTHING?’.
- The attention-grabbing activity included a presence on its website theaacareers.co.uk, where visitors can view the light-hearted ‘Almost every role you can imagine’ film, see engaging people stories and realistic job profiles, to a social media hub and interactive 3D imagery.
- ‘Ready for ANYTHING?’ challenges ran in Birmingham and Newcastle shopping centres, in a Saturday night gameshow-style, aimed at attracting potential contact centre candidates. There were laughs, prize money and a surge in careers site traffic.
- The company’s values and employee value proposition made a real impact in its 24-hour live adventure, headed by former Special Forces soldier Ant Middleton. Six brave AA employees went into the wilderness, tackling challenges chosen by the public via social media to vote on what they’d face.
- The cheeky brand mascot AAbot has mobilised a new generation of employer brand advocates. AAbot has also been at the heart of social media and external recruitment campaigns, appearing on taxi wraps and local football terraces. More recently, he became the star of #wheresbotbeen social media competition.
- All the initiatives have led to record-high direct hires – up 38% to 95%. The AA has also moved from 60% agency use to less than 5% in 30 months – saving £7m per year.
Judges’ comments: “In a very competitive category, The AA was a clear winner, bringing a smile to the judges’ faces! Impressive results and cost savings. Loved the bot!”