Ganymede Solutions is a £100m turnover recruitment business incorporating the brands of ATA Recruitment and Ganymede. ATA Recruitment is a permanent and contract recruitment supplier to the engineering and technical sectors. As well as similar recruitment activities to ATA, Ganymede provides managed workforce solutions to the transportation and infrastructure sectors and are the largest supplier of labour to key regions of Network Rail. They have up to 1,000 workers on the UK’s railways per day and manage all their safety and competency requirements through their compliance team.
- Although the company has been making the transition to paperless processes since 2019, the pandemic proved a catalyst in speeding this up. So as well as conducting the compliance role remotely, the team has also had to learn new processes, meaning a duplication of workload.
- As many placements are on critical rail infrastructure, the compliance function has remained as busy – if not busier – as pre-pandemic levels. Compliance are now auditing fleet occupancy (Covid restrictions) and completing Covid questionnaire checks. Challenges around training and the closure of drug and alcohol testing centres have had to be resolved, and the compliance elements of medicals and competencies managed even more tightly to ensure the expiry dates of workers’ credentials can be planned for.
- IR35 – the compliance team has developed a process to ensure they are supporting their clients to take ‘reasonable care’ while protecting their own interests as the fee payer.
- Ganymede have a number of compliance verification checks in place to ensure that their onboarding processes, as well as the continued engagement of workers, are compliant with legislative, industry-led and client-specific requirements.
- The company is subject to regular external audits by both clients and industry governing bodies.
Judges’ comments: “The winners took a proactive approach to compliance, helping them and their clients stay ahead of competition. Impressive internal and external auditing process ensure robust compliance. They went over and above what would normally be expected.”